The Easie Precis: Scum-bag Lou (Gyllenhal) goes around filming night-time Los Angeles car accidents, murders, etc. to sell the footage to local news channels. Might make you hate humanity.
Compatible Movies: Lou Bloom's textbook-like sermons on business are very reminiscent of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho (2000).
The "for what it's trying to be" score: 68%
Watch the Trailer? No. I wouldn't. Better to go in clean. However, if you really want to, you can here.
A Little More Detail...
This is a very well made film. The story, and pacing is good - and I am glad this film does not go down the route of what you would expect the typical Hollywood story to be: Lou films crime scenes. Lou wants to be the first at crime scenes. Lou realises if he commits crimes he will automatically be first at the scene.
This film doesn't do that. Rather, the characters become the focus. This makes for a more realistic film: one where the direction is focused on communicating the point as clearly and simply as possible.
On the flip-side, this is exactly what the film lacks. You'd think when I say crime, LA, cameras, that it would be a very stylish film. But it is not. The soundtrack and cinematography all seem to get out of the way and just allow the story and characters to come through. While I believe this film draws out the emotion intended, it does so with very little attitude - to the point where you might say it is quite plain. While I can't find great fault with what is presented I can't help feeling that there is a missed opportunity in what isn't presented.
What's it About?
Crime, TV news, gonzo
Best Viewing Company: Anyone
No comments:
Post a Comment