Sunday, 8 March 2015

Review: Melancholia (2011)

The Easie Precis: Sort of an apocalypse movie - not just the earth but also the human spirit.

Compatible Movies: Not very helpful, but I'd have to say other Lars Von Trier - Antichrist (2009)

The "for what it's trying to be" score: 97%

What's it About?
Depression. The destruction of planet earth.

Watch the Trailer? No worries, watch here.


A Little More Detail...
Firstly, it's not as bleak as it sounds. Okay, well, it's pretty bleak, but it seems to have some sort of uplifting feeling to it. Like, we're all going to die but that's what was meant to be so it's good.

This is one of the most perfectly made films I have ever seen. Now, that doesn't mean that it is entertaining or enlightening and it does take a bit out of you to watch. However, I still find it hard to fault.

What I really love about this movie is how real it is. I love that it is a movie about the concern of a giant meteor colliding with Earth and destroying all life as we know it. But that's not what it's actually about. It is actually about - like what all films should actually be about - what the characters are going through at the time. "Yes, there is a giant meteor that might obliterate the earth but that's not what is really concerning me right now." (not an actual quote from the film - the writing is better than that!) I've always felt watching sci-fi or murder mystery films that it was so shallow that something like finding the identity of the murderer seems to be the ONLY thing going on in the detectives life at that point. Yes, aliens might have landed, but my family member has just taken ill and that is more important to me right now.

For a film such as this I should go into ideas of the human spirit and depression and how that parallels to the destruction of the planet. But I feel like it would be empty intellectualising. Just go and watch this film: you will see what I mean.

Best Viewing Company: Just yourself. Can be slow at times, might be restless with friends. Should be okay with family. Personall,y however, I'd be aiming to reduce the chance of distractions

No comments:

Post a Comment